I have created a new resource for my Thermomix clients. It is called 10 Things All Thermomix Owners Should Know. While researching the topic, I asked the TM5 Hints and Tips Community to share their thoughts and ideas.
Note: Before you read the advice below, please understand that this is advice from fellow users of Thermomix. It is not official advice from Thermomix in Australia or from Vorwork. Speak to your consultant and read your user manual for advice regarding your machine and personal situation. Read the full legal disclaimer here.
The question was:
“What is the #1 thing you would tell a new Thermomix owner?”
This is what everyone said in reply:
- Sharree from Thermified For Life said: When buying an unusual or expensive ingredient eg saffron for a recipe plan your weekly meal plan around that ingredient so you can use it all and have no wastage after one meal.
- Stacey said: Buy. Bigger. Pants.
- Tabitha said: Patience, and you will have fails.
- Helen said: Kids can cook!!
- Julie said: Always make sure your base is in properly and that your blades are in.
- Mel said: If your hand goes in the bowl, clockwise only!
- Cindy said: Buy a second bowl ASAP.
- Jo-Anne said: Don’t drag it on the bench, don’t walk away from it on high speed or kneading.
- Ashlea said: Go and buy one of each herb and spice. Always make sure the balde is in before housing it. Second bowl promo is a must, i wish i got it. If you have kids put a lock on it as my boys love cooking so they will try when I turn my back. With the lock, they can’t turn it on.
- Lee said: Don’t offer to cook for the entire (extended) family too soon! Take some time to get to know the Thermomix. It is a new way of cooking so have some 1 on 1 time as you get to know it better.
- Kathy said: You’ll never look back
- Samara said: Don’t blame the machine
- Rachel said: Try the meals you would normally cook anyway unless you get used to it.
- Tenealie said: Steam a cake.
- Bev said: Make something each day in it. Remember if someone doesn’t like what you’ve made, perhaps it’s their taste not your method of delivery.
- Renee said: a second bowl is essential!!!!
- Linda said: It’s just a kitchen appliance. Don’t stress if you don’t use it everyday.
- Trudy said: It’s okay if you prefer the ‘old’ way of doing stuff. I don’t use mine for bread or meringue.
- Malinda said: Start making simple little things. Even get used to milling sugar and making butter. Definitly make some items of the chip. It’s all trial and error.
- Rachael said: meal plan.
- Sue said: Stick with it. It’s a different way of cooking and it takes time and patience to get the hang of it. Set yourself a goal to cook at least one mal a week with it to get yourself started.
- Anna said: Don’t leave it sitting on the bench because you’re too afraid or feel overwhelmed.
- Alison said: Check out 1000’s of recipe fro Thermomix online.
- Nicola said: It walks sometimes, be careful it doesn’t come off the bench!
- Tania said: Check the jug is put back together so you don’t drown the machine.
- Rach said: Buy a new spice each week to stock up slowly especially if you’re going to try the skinnymixer meals!
- Chantel said: Don’ put thermy under overhead benches. Don’t be afraid of the varoma. Buy extra silicon spatulas and a chopping board. Have patients.
- Pamela said: you will get your fair amount of shit food and may even hate the thermo but one you find the recipes, it’s love.
- Trees said: Skinnymixers
- Louise said: Step one of every recipe should be “pull on blades to check they are secure”. You wont be a masterchef overnight, even then they mess up/don’t what like what they make sometimes. No one uses their machine in the same way.
- Monika said: Don’t stick to the recipes/chip religiously… experiment and substitute as often as possible!
- Kylie said: Never put the bowl in the base unless it is fully put together, that’s our rule here and 4+ years on, never had a liquid accident.
- Kristi said: Make all 3 stock pastes as they each enhance a recipe differently.
- Kylie said: My personal opinion is don’t try and make your favourite recipes in the thermie straight away. They taste different and have different texture. It has opened us up to new favourites and dishes we would never have tried before.
- Sian said: Check that your bowl is properly connected. I do this each time before I cook and don’t event think about it now.
Here are some related posts that you might like to read: